get your groove on: the seventies
recently, i’ve listening to some tunes from the 70s, and really quite liking them. for today’s saturday playlist, i’ve decided to try something different. i present to you a new series of my blog, under music talk, the decades. and first up will be the glorious 70s.
before i start the music portion, just a little taste of the culture and some of the events of the 70s (presented by the history channel). and… i can’t actually embed the video so here it is for your interest: http://www.history.com/topics/1970s/videos/1970s
alright now that we got that out of the way, i present to you the billboard hot 100 number-one singles of the 1970s, from the billboard archives. well, not all in one go. today will just be 1970; the rest will come in the near future.
ARE YOU READY TO TRAVEL BACK TO 1970?
note: bolded is number-one single of the year
- b.j. thomas – raindrops keep fallin’ on my head
- jackson 5 – i want you back
- the shocking blue – venus
- sly & the family stone – thank you (falettinme be mice elf agin)/everybody is a star
- simon & garfunkel – bridge over troubled water
- the beatles – let it be
- jackson 5 – abc
- the guess who – american woman/no sugar tonight
- ray stevens – everything is beautiful
- the beatles – the long and winding road/for you blue
- jackson 5 – the love you save/i found that girl
- three dog night – mama told me (not to come)
- carpenters – (they long to be) close to you
- bread – make it with you
- edwin starr – war
- diana ross – ain’t no mountain high enough
- neil diamond – cracklin’ rosie
- jackson 5 – i’ll be there
- the partridge family starring shirley jonas featuring david cassidy – i think i love you
- smokey robinson & the miracles – the tears of a clown
- george harrison – my sweet lord/isn’t it a pity
too many songs to talk about, but one comment: bridge over water definitely deserves to be the top song of 1970, i love simon & garfunkel’s stuff!
that’s all for now.