the seventies: 1971
welcome back again to the decades, this time with 1971.
side note: ideally i hope to be able to post more than one “year” a week.
once again, bolded means the overall number one single of the year.
- george harrison – my sweet lord/isn’t it a pity
- dawn – knock three times
- the osmonds – one bad apple
- janis joplin – me and bobby mcgee
- the temptations – just my imagination (running away with me)
- three dog night – joy to the world
- the rolling stones – brown sugar
- the honey cone – want ads
- carole king – it’s too late/i feel the earth move
- the raiders – indian reservation (the lament of the cherokee reservation indian)
- james taylor – you’ve got a friend
- bee gees – how can you mend a broken heart
- paul & linda mccartney – uncle albert/admiral halsey
- donny osmond – go away little girl
- rod steward – maggie may/reason to believe
- cher – gypsys, tramps & thieves
- isaac hayes – theme from shaft
- sly & the family stone – family affair
- melanie – brand new key (carries over to january 1972)
i think i might just present these and leave it as is for you readers to enjoy.
that’s all for now.