the most relaxing songs ever?
happy international day of happiness! this is how i spent it:
- working out to release those endorphins and getting me some positive vibes
- wearing something that makes me feel fierce (i’m talking a silver leopard print silky bomber and my favourite heeled booties)
- drinking tea mmm~
- going to class… better than sitting in my room doing nothing, right?
- doing papier mâché with friends while listening to some great acoustic tunes
- baking sweet potato mac & cheese (which was VERY delicious, might i add) with my roommate
- listening to music, of course!
- and blogging about musical discoveries ↴
i recently stumbled upon an article (or, a couple) that presented the top 10 most relaxing songs in the world, according to scientific research. yes, you read that right – scientifically proven.
the list is as follows:
- Weightless – Marconi Union
- electra – Airstream
- Mellomaniac (Chillout Mix) – DJ Shah
- Watermark – Enya
- Strawberry Swing – Coldplay
- Please Don’t Go – Barcelona
- Pure Shores – All Saints
- Someone Like You – Adele
- Canzonetta sull’aria – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- We Can Fly – Rue du Soleil
now, let’s talk about what is claimed to be the most relaxing song ever composed: weightless.
the musicians of marconi union collaborated with sound therapists to create a song that would lower a listener’s anxiety by 65% (according to researchers at mindlab international). it is something called entrainment, where the human heartbeat is matched or heavily influenced by the beat of a song. “weightless” starts of at 60bpm (the average resting heart rate) and gradually slows down to 50bpm.
upon reading this, i wanted to try it out for myself to see if it really does decrease anxiety and other physiological stress indicators (blood pressure, cortisol levels, etc.). i can say that this is not the kind of music i particularly enjoy listening to, and i was a bit skeptical at first. tbh, during my first listening i felt more anxious/unsettled than relaxed, possibly because it is just so different from the typical acoustic/folk songs i listen to to calm down. but my second listening i did while i was writing this entire thing up, and i definitely felt myself getting more relaxed. maybe it’s a placebo, who knows?
(but there’s scientific evidence, right? so it must be legit somehow!)
take a listen: are these the most relaxing songs ever?